- April 12, 2019
- Posted by: Trading
- Category: Currency Forecast
The Canadian dollar has recorded considerable losses on Thursday. Currently, is trading at 1.3383, up 0.48% on the day. On the release front, the sole Canadian event is a minor housing report. In the U.S., climbed 0.6%, above the estimate of 0.3%. improved to 0.3%, edging above the forecast of 0.2%. Unemployment claims sparkled, dropping to 196,000, well below the estimate of 210,000. On Friday, the U.S. posts and the semi-annual Treasury currency report.
The Federal Reserve was in focus on Wednesday, with the release of the minutes from the March meeting. The Fed left the door open to rate hikes in 2019, provided that economic conditions improved. Some members said that they expected the economy to improve, while others said that rate movement could shift “in either direction based on incoming data and other developments.”
The International Monetary Fund downgraded economic forecasts worldwide, and Canada was no exception. The IMF lowered its forecast from 1.9% to 1.5%. The report noted that Canada would be a major beneficiary if the U.S. and China can hammer out a deal and end their bruising trade war. The IMF also lowered its forecast for global growth, from 3.5% to 3.3%.
Oil prices have dipped on Thursday, but remain close to 5-month highs. Civil unrest in Libya and Venezuela have tightened supplies, as have a cut in supplies by OPEC members. Canada is a major oil producer, so the rise in oil prices has helped bolster the Canadian currency, despite lukewarm Canadian data.
Thursday (April 11)
- 8:30 Canadian NHPI. Estimate 0.0%. Actual 0.0%
- 8:30 US PPI. Estimate 0.3%. Actual 0.6%
- 8:30 US Core PPI. Estimate 0.2%. Actual 0.3%
- 8:30 US Unemployment Claims. Estimate 210K. Actual 196K
- 9:30 US FOMC Member Clarida Speaks
- 9:35 US FOMC Member Williams (NYSE:) Speaks
- 9:40 US FOMC Member Bullard Speaks
- 10:30 US Storage. Estimate 32B
- 13:01 US 30-year Bond Auction.
- 16:00 US FOMC Member Bowman Speaks
Friday (April 12)
- 10:00 US UoM Consumer Sentiment. Estimate 98.1
- Tentative – US Treasury Currency Report
*All release times are DST
*Key events are in bold
USD/CAD for Thursday, April 11, 2019
USD/CAD for April 10-12, 2019.
USD/CAD, April 11 at 8:05 DST
Open: 1.3318 High: 1.3396 Low: 1.3313 Close: 1.3376
USD/CAD posted small gains in the Asian session and the trend continued in European trade. The pair has edged higher in North American trade
- 1.3290 is providing support
- 1.3383 is under pressure in resistance. It was tested earlier in the day
- Current range: 1.3290 to 1.3383
Further levels in both directions:
- Below: 1.3290, 1.3200 and 1.3125
- Above: 1.3383, 1.3445, 1.3552 and 1.3662
This article is for general information purposes only. It is not investment advice or a solution to buy or sell securities. Opinions are the authors; not necessarily that of OANDA Corporation or any of its affiliates, subsidiaries, officers or directors. Leveraged trading is high risk and not suitable for all. You could lose all of your deposited funds.