- September 21, 2018
- Posted by: Trading
- Category: Alerts
MARKET DEVELOPMENT – GBP SLUMPS WITH EU-UK AT IMPASSE
GBP: The Pound is the underperformer during today’s session, paring back all of its gains from yesterday’s session with GBPUSD back below 1.31. The rather unsuccessful meeting in Salzburg, in which the EU had rejected the Chequers proposal has weighed on the recent optimism surrounding Brexit. This had been further exacerbated by PM May’s press conference who stated that UK and EU are at an impasse with two key issues are a long way apart (Irish Border + Future relations after Brexit.
CAD: The Loonie remains magnetised around 1.29 in what has been a relatively choppy session. The latest inflation report showed the headline figure falling 0.2ppts to 2.8%, in line with expectations. However, the BoC’s preferred measure of inflation saw an 0.1ppt uptick to 2.1%, consequently keeping the CAD on the front foot.
EUR: After hitting the psychological 1.18 level for the first time since June, the Euro saw a slight pullback with the first look at the latest Euro-Area PMIs showing that the manufacturing sector continues to suffer, while growth remains supported by services.
DailyFX Economic Calendar: Friday, September 20, 2018 – North American Releases
DailyFX Webinar Calendar: Friday, September 20, 2018
Five Things Traders are Reading
- “Central Bank Weekly: US Dollar has Next Week’s Fed Hike Priced In” by Christopher Vecchio, CFA , Sr. Currency Strategist
- “Ripple (XRP) Price: Buyers Turning Chart Outlook Positive“ by Nick Cawley, Market Analyst
- “Quadruple Witching to Spur Volume Surge, Eyes on Fed Risk | Webinar”by Justin McQueen, Market Analyst
- “S&P 500 and Dow Bullish Technical Outlook Forges On” by Paul Robinson, Market Analyst
- “GBP Price Action Soured by Negative Brexit Sentiment” by Nick Cawley, Market Analyst
— Written by Justin McQueen, Market Analyst