This Week’s #1 Event Risk


Kathy Lien, Managing Director Of FX Strategy For BK Asset Management

Daily FX Market Roundup July 8, 2019

U.S. dollar bulls remain in control with the extending its gains against all of the major currencies. Friday’s report sparked a broad-based recovery in the greenback. With no US economic reports scheduled for release Monday and Tuesday, the dollar held onto its gains as investors wait for its next catalyst – Federal Reserve Chairman Powell’s semi-annual on the economy and monetary policy. There’s no question that this is the most important event risk of the week. It could determine the market’s appetite for U.S. dollars not just for the next week but for the rest of the month ahead of the July 31 . Before the jobs report, Fed fund futures were 75% chance of a quarter point cut this month and 25% of a half point cut. Today, those odds have shifted to 95% chance of July cut and an 80% chance of a second cut by late October.

The big question for Fed Chairman Powell and all of the other central bankers scheduled to speak this week is whether a July cut is necessary at all given the latest jobs report. At their last monetary policy meeting, the Fed made it very clear that easing is data-dependent. Since then, job growth rebounded sharply but the is up, wage growth is lower, are mixed, is down as – and -sector activity slowed. So outside of hiring, there’s been-broad based deterioration in U.S. data. The , which is another key measure for the Fed, is scheduled for release on Thursday, but chances are Powell has those figures on hand before his testimony.

Given the overall tone of the most recent and the amount of time since his last Congressional testimony, we believe that Fed Chair Powell will spend a good portion of his time on Capitol Hill explaining why the central bank believes that the case for a rate cut increased significantly over the past few months. Back in February, the Fed was still thinking about tightening, the labor market was strong and Powell said the outlook for the economy was positive. Last month, the central bank dropped the word patient from their policy statement, said uncertainties increased and saw 8 FOMC members forecast a this year.

July easing seems like a done deal but the price action in the U.S. dollar suggests that forex traders are ill-prepared for negative comments from Powell on Wednesday. They hope that the better-than-expected employment report will push a rate cut to September or give the central bank the confidence to signal that a cut in July is all that the economy needs this year. If Powell’s testimony is laced with optimism, will break 109 and will sink well below 1.12. However if the Fed Chair focuses on the risks ahead and spends a large part of his testimony reviewing the slowdown in the economy, we could see USD/JPY u-turn and fall back below 107.50. EUR/USD could squeeze back above 1.13 but the biggest gains should be in the Swiss Franc and New Zealand dollars.

The weakest currencies were the and , which is no surprise considering that they are the most sensitive to the market’s appetite for . The ’s decline was helped by softer-than-expected German . The most resilient currency was the , which held steady after Friday’s slide. Looking ahead there are no major economic reports scheduled for release in the next 24 hours so we do not expect any big moves before Powell’s testimony.

Disclaimer: Fusion Media would like to remind you that the data contained in this website is not necessarily real-time nor accurate. All CFDs (stocks, indexes, futures) and Forex prices are not provided by exchanges but rather by market makers, and so prices may not be accurate and may differ from the actual market price, meaning prices are indicative and not appropriate for trading purposes. Therefore Fusion Media doesn`t bear any responsibility for any trading losses you might incur as a result of using this data.

Fusion Media or anyone involved with Fusion Media will not accept any liability for loss or damage as a result of reliance on the information including data, quotes, charts and buy/sell signals contained within this website. Please be fully informed regarding the risks and costs associated with trading the financial markets, it is one of the riskiest investment forms possible.



Source link



Leave a Reply

error: Content is protected !!